Friday, April 8, 2011

Silent Support for a Friend

Dear Friend,

I will not disclose your name, even your initials, in order to respect your privacy. Let our midnight chat, during which you spilled your deepest secrets to the two of us, be the only inkling of who you are. I am sure you will read this, and I am sure you will know that I am talking about you.

Your story, and everything you said that night, touched my heart to the very core. Words literally cannot describe how I felt, and how I still feel. I never thought I would meet someone as strong as you are. Even just listening to your story, I had to stop myself from crying right there, because I was afraid it would make all three of us cry. I wanted to take you in my arms and to hug you tightly. To let you know that you would always have people that love you in the world. To tell you that I love you dearly as a friend, and that you can always count on me to be there for you.

The issues you are facing are not insurmountable. You are a strong person, and I am sure that you will be able to work it all out. To work out how you feel, which path to take, what your values are, and where you will go in life. Most importantly, to work out who you are.

It will not be an easy journey. But life is an important journey for all of us, whether we must walk on hot coals or shards of glass for part of the way. I don't want you to ever seriously consider death as an option again. You are much too important for the world to lose, for all your friends to lose. It gives me shivers to think that you came so close in the past, and that we could have lost you before we ever knew you.

Whenever you are feeling down, remember that I am thinking of you, wherever we both are. Let's both put our pasts behind us and try to live bravely for the future. Friends forever. Deal?

-FCDH

No comments:

Post a Comment