Thursday, April 7, 2011

Corporations vs. Startups

Hi Readers,

So one of the things that really stood out for me during spring break was the differences in the ECE/CS alumni that we talked to. To be honest, before that happened, I never really thought that it was that useful to meet with alumni. Sure, it was fun chatting and talking with people who have graduated and are now in the real world. However, the importance of student-alumni relations really struck me during my spring break visits.

When we were in San Francisco, we met with a venture capitalist named Paul from I/O Ventures, which is a startup company that provides resources and guidance for new tech startups. We talked with him for an hour about startups, and I left that meeting just KNOWING that I wanted to join startups. It just sounds so cool: you'd be choosing what you would be doing, the success and failure of the startup is solely dependent upon yourself, and you'd be your own boss. The independence sounds so appealing, plus the risk you're taking keeps your life exciting. It would be an adventure, and I will probably learn a lot from it, if I ever choose to go down that route. It is the "American Dream" for businesses.

Fast forward two days, at the Microsoft campus in Redmond, WA. Corporate to the core, completely opposite of the experience at SF. There are few hints of the startup spirit here, the same way as the lack of corporate spirit in the startup. But after talking with different Microsoft employees throughout the day, I left those meetings just KNOWING that I wanted to work in a giant corporation. (I actually left with a giant inclination to work for Microsoft. Man do they know how to sell themselves to other people.) It just seemed like such a stable and regimented life, knowing exactly that your hard work will always pay off in the form of promotions and raises, not having to worry about your job disappearing the next day. It is the "American Dream" for individuals.

How can such a dichotomy both provide such persuasive arguments? It does not seem right, to the rational person. These are fundamentally two different career and life paths, yet these are both valid paths. The only thing that is different is the risk and rewards that are involved with the paths. Does bigger risk come with a bigger reward in this case?

I have been brought up to believe in the way of the corporations. Stability was always of the utmost importance, and it always used to trump any individual developments. But I'd like to think that college has changed me. That, if the opportunity were to present itself one day, I would jump at the chance of being a part of a startup.

The future of engineering is glittering and awaiting. I can't wait to embrace the future.

-FCDH

No comments:

Post a Comment