Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Life Without a Cellphone

Hey Readers,

So it's been probably a month and a half since I last used a cellphone. It's been pretty weird, not being constantly connected to the world. Well, not being AS connected to the world as I'd like (I still facebook and gmail everyday...). But having survived for this long without a cellphone, I think it'd be cool to talk about this experience and about technology in general.

There are some major things that are different, and some that are the same. For example, my pockets are now light enough that I don't have to wear belts when wearing my baggy shorts. But I still feel phantom vibrations (when you think you feel the phone vibrating but it's actually not). The worst one: I actually need to plan out social outings with friends in advance now. Kind of annoying when your friends have cells and you don't. Not having a cellphone is probably the biggest reason why I think I've regressed socially this summer in Japan (doesn't help that most Japanese people here are also very anti-social..).

But in a way it's kinda nice. When I have a phone and I'm alone by myself, I'm usually tempted to call my friends and hang out, do something....anything to not be alone by myself. But without a phone, since there's really nothing I can do, I guess I've had to stop thinking about being with others, and just enjoy being with myself. The less connected I am with the world around me, the more connected I become with myself. It's definitely an unexpected side effect. Though granted, most people around me don't have phones (and I probably saved a lot of money by not getting it), so to me it doesn't seem like a big loss.

It's interesting, because when I first arrived in Japan by myself...I thought to myself, that I wasn't going to do what I had traditionally always done during my summers: to crave English interactions, friends, to drink and party a lot, and other stuff. I wanted Japan to be different, to try to be fully immersed in the culture. But slowly it's been slowly reverting back to what I wanted to avoid. I've made friends here (both English and non-English), and I do find myself craving human interactions most of the time. But not having a phone is definitely helping me become more self-sufficient with being alone.

Ironically, it is helping me become less shy at the same time. Because I can't just call up my friends and ask to hang out with them, when somebody I know asks me if I want to join them for a party or dinner, I now jump at the chance, even if I will not know most of the people there. Since I can't call up my friends to see what they are doing later, my choice has really already been made for me...and so ironically, I'm pretty sure I've made more acquaintances and friends in Japan than I would have if I had a cellphone.

What a weird coincidence! Not having a cellphone is helping me learn how to be alone AND more social at the same time. (I didn't think through everything when I started this post and now I'm pretty amazed at this turn of events). This is cool! But perhaps I will stick with a cellphone when I return to the US =). All for now!

PS: Will be climbing Mt. Fuji tomorrow (Saturday)....so nervous!!!

-FCDH

1 comment:

  1. That is fascinating... your comment about learning to be more social and more alone at the same time. I think that there are probably a lot of ways that technology makes our lives easier, but that we lose skills as a result of not being forced into inconvenience. Interesting...

    ReplyDelete