Wednesday, June 9, 2010

First Impressions of Japan

Hello Readers,

A week has passed in Japan, and I'm offering my first impressions here.

Living Quarters: There is simply one word for it: amazing. My lodging here (which is mostly paid for by the National Institute for Materials Science, my employer), is absolutely amazing.


The picture on the left is a picture of the apartment / dormitory complex that I am currently staying at in Japan. There's a library, central courtyard (where I had a bbq with a bunch of random students from Tsukuba University), and workout room. I live in a double room by myself (they must have ran out of singles), and I love it every single day I am here.

I also have a bike! Awesome way to exercise. Last Saturday and Sunday alone, I biked 80km.

Food: Most people will know that I love most food in general. But Japanese food has always been one of my favorites. Sashimi (raw fish slices) and ramen are two of my favorite food in the world. I've eaten ramen almost every day at lunchtime at the cafeteria, and it's so amazing. Sure, the 500 yen price sounds astronomical, but it's almost cheaper than a Subway footlong.

Work: I've only started, but I already have a good feeling about working at NIMS. The people there are very friendly, and I am quite astonished that I actually know what they are talking about! Thanks a lot for your education, ECE department, for all the semiconductor classes!! (As a side note - I recommend anyone wanting to shock others on semiconductor knowledge to take the ECE 440/444/488/495 combo. This has re-emphasized the hallowed status that they give to our university in the realms of semiconductors - thanks to the inventors of the transistors / LED / Quantum well laser / Transistor laser here).

Weather: Most people told me it would be rainy. Well instead it's rained 1 day and been sunny every other day here...and I love it.

I am loving Japan as of right now. However, even through my enthusiasm and openness, there are some subtle flash points that I am keeping a close watch on. For one thing, I am keeping a tight lid on the fact that I am gay - it's not accepted in Japanese culture, plus I don't know how my French friends may react (if any of you are reading this - please let me know how you feel). Also, the more Japanese work ethics and behaviors I see, the more apprehensive I am slowly becoming. It's also extremely hard to make Japanese friends, because of the lack of interaction and the fact that they all seem to be so shy. I am also beginning to feel somewhat lonely here, but perhaps I will be able to fix that as I continue adapting.

I will travel to Tokyo this Saturday, to visit Yurina Nomura-san, who is my contact with IAESTE Japan. I am looking forward to it...and to purchasing what will most likely become thousands of yen's worth of postcards. Oh well...it's my obligation as a global wanderer to do so.

Till the next post!

-FCDH

2 comments:

  1. what do you mean by "hallowed status" when talking about the four ECE classes offered by UIUC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just about the 4 ECE classes, the hallowed status refers to our ECE department in general, because it's associated with a lot of Nobel Laureates who have invented a bunch of important electronic things.

    ReplyDelete