Thursday, December 10, 2009

Life is so Gay

People always say that God does things in mysterious ways. But for me, and probably million of others like me in the US, I just have one question for Him: Why me? Why now? and Why this?

If you are reading this, here's a test of our friendship.

I'm gay. There, I've officially said it. Whew.

But why?? Why am I gay?

This question has haunted me for the longest time. For the past 9 years, in fact. It was so frustrating, to find answers for all the questions I've ever had, except this one. I hate its simplicity: 4 words, that can bring no answers, no respite, no comfort, no nothing. Only pain and grief.

I've been good at keeping my homosexuality hidden my whole life. I consider myself an expert in manipulating my outward emotions, the way I talk, the way I interact with people. It's definitely an artform, to silently walk among those who had no idea who you really are. To sound like you are genuine in your laugh at their joke about gay people, or to pretend like you agree with their views on how gay people are so weird and feminine. At the same time, feeling like a knife was slicing into your heart every time someone says something like that, knowing that one day comments like this will be aimed towards you.

But then, coming to college and finally finding hope! Independence from your suffocating family, from your old and dear friends, from everything that was familiar to you. A new start. A clean slate. But I was a coward, still unable to face reality, living in a delusional fantasy. Thank god for my friends, without you all I couldn't have made this journey. Even though you were all so shocked when I innocently slipped it into our conversations, the support and love I've gotten has been like nothing I've ever experienced. And this time, I know it's real love... it's for the person I am, not the person I'm pretending to be.

And now, I'm standing at the summit. I've completely accepted who I am, and my sexuality. I recognize that the future will be hard, especially with my conservative family. I don't know when it will happen, but I'm ready for it. I am...(can it be?)....secure in my sexuality. For everyone that helped me realize it, I thank you. I thank god every single day for surrounding me with such amazing people.

God. Now we've come around full circle. God, I know you've given me the challenge to test my strength. It took me a while to see it, but now I will rise to the challenge.

To ppl reading this: As I said, I'm secure in my sexuality. I know it 100%, so you could TRY to convince me otherwise, or to tell me how it's a sin in God's eyes...but I doubt you'd succeed. If you're feeling disgusted by this blog post, I suggest you unfriend me from facebook or quietly exit your way out of my life. I will be saddened, but that's just how the dice falls. Whatever happens, happens. Just remember, my hands are always outstretched to everyone, regardless of their beliefs.

PS: Good luck on exams, everyone.

-FCDH

4 comments:

  1. God creates everyone the way he wants them. Be who you are and don't question it. Your friends will still be your friends, if they can't accept you for you then they aren't true friends.

    Families can be ruff but take one thing at time.

    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am kind of shocked because I thought you had a crush on my ex for the longest time...

    But seriously, I love you for who you are. And of course I won't try to convince you because I honestly see nothing wrong with homosexuality. The Bible does have verses showing disapproval of homosexuality but nothing that warrants the homophobia that exists in society. I am a Christian and I know the official church view on homosexuality, but I cannot really agree with that. As for making gay jokes, I'll be the first to admit that in the very immature days of high school, I was one of those who would make such jokes. I apologize for the harms it caused you :(

    University is great. You will always find people who share the same belief as you. And the gay community is a huge and vibrant part of the student population.

    Know that I will always support you in whatever decision you make, David.

    Love you,

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey David,
    I haven't spoken to you in forever, but I'm so happy you've made peace with yourself and that you have such a strong network to carry you through. Life is such an exciting journey!! And we're all just starting. Good luck and God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gay or not, you're still one of my closest friends. You can't get rid of me that easily.

    I think your family will come around eventually. Just give them some time. If not, you still have your friends to back you up.
    :) Kate

    ReplyDelete