Wednesday, December 19, 2012

First Impressions of Africa

Hi Readers,

It is currently 3:30 am local time, and I just settled down into my hotel bed in Nairobi, Kenya. The past 40 something hours have been a whirlwind of flights, and airport terminals.  I started the journey in San Jose, and passed through LA, Frankfurt, and Addis Ababa (AA) before finally arriving in Kenya. The most interesting part of the trip so far must be the 17 hr layover that we had in Ethiopia.

We arrived to the AA airport at 6am, and since our next flight wasn't until 11pm, we decided to go out into the city to explore. Ethiopian Airlines graciously provided us with a transit stay at their hotel in downtown AA. We pretty much hit 4 birds with one stone: all 3 meals for the day were free, we didn't have to pay for the transit visa, we got a free bus ride to and from the airport, and we got a free hotel room where we napped off some jet lag.

After some napping, we went out to the Merkato marketplace in AA, which is the largest open air market in Africa. We were accosted by a guide masquerading as a friendly student eager to practice his English, who took us to the market and showed us around.

My impression of my first afternoon in Africa was mixed.  On the one hand, the smells everywhere in the city were quite horrible. Vehicles spewed jet black smoke, and the smell hanging in the air was always a mix of smoke and garbage. The people looked at me weirdly, and I heard a lot of "China!" and "ni hao ma" everywhere I went. Some kids even broke into Gangnam style as I passed them. On the bright side, the city felt very organically vibrant. The market sold a wide variety of things. People were selling animals like donkeys and chickens, furniture, construction materials like steel rods, and more traditional stuff like food and clothing.

The stay in Ethiopia was interesting but quite exhausting. By the time we finally arrived at the Nairobi airport, I was ready to drop and sleep anywhere I could. Surprisingly, the process of obtaining a Kenyan visa upon arrival was very easy and quite straightforward. We also managed to find our luggage successfully (a miracle in my mind, given that we had 3 layovers over 40 hours and that our bag had somehow arrived to Kenya on an earlier flight than us).

I can't help but be thankful that everything had worked out so well!

Cheers,
FCDH

No comments:

Post a Comment