Friday, December 28, 2012

Agatha Christie

Hi Readers,

I've had plenty of free time in Africa, such as sleepless nights due to jet lag, boring nights on Kilimanjaro, or traveling on the bus (as I am doing right now, back to Nairobi). During this free time, I've been writing blog posts, watching videos of Andrew Ng teaching machine learning, or more commonly, reading all the Agatha Christie books that I could store on my phone. During this trip so far, I've read 7 of her books: And Then There Were None, 4:50 From Paddington, Black Coffee, A Caribbean Mystery, Pockets Full of Rye, After The Funeral, and Dead Man's Folly.

Let me start of by saying that Agatha Christie is a phenomenal author. For me, she's done for detective stories what Isaac Asimov did for sci-fi novels. I find myself unable to put down her books whenever I start reading them.

She is also amazingly good at throwing red herrings into her stories. I don't think there's been a single story where I've been able to deduce (or even guess) the murderer correctly. With a single sentence (for example, "she touched the flowers with a satisfied smile"), suddenly that person is a suspect and the flowers probably have something to do with the murder...or not. And then at the end of the story, the twist is always unpredictable (maybe she is allergic to those flowers or something, I don't know...I just made up that story).

But the most fascinating aspects of the stories is how the storyline challenges what we've been taught about storytelling while growing up. The most unpredictable factors in these stories are almost always what was left unsaid, rather than what was said. A murder can be committed for a great reward at the end, or for a pittance, or for no reason at all. The background setting, which we usually gloss over, is now massively important. The narrator is now used for deception and misinformation. It make one feel very off-balance while reading one of her books.

But that's probably why there's always such a huge sense of relief and satisfaction when you finish one of her stories. Because the deception and lies are finally over and resolved satisfactorily. And you can finally go to sleep now...at 5am.

-FCDH

PS the bus is approaching Nairobi and the sky is a very angry and dark purple color over the city. There's lightning everywhere too. Looks like another African thunderstorm!

No comments:

Post a Comment