Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Year's Summary

Hi Readers,

So much has happened in a single year, both in my own life and the world around me. From the Arab Spring to the earthquake in Japan, billions of lives were dramatically changed all around the world. Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed, and the war in Iraq was ended. Herman Cain and Michelle Bachmann became household names, and Rick Perry's political career took a nosedive.

On Jan. 1st, 2011, I didn't know what my future post-graduation held. I thought I had equal probability to go into graduate school or industry. For grad school, I expected to be in UC Santa Barbara or Berkeley. Stanford didn't even factor into my calculations. I had applied to Stanford simply because I had ordered an extra leftover transcript and I thought it shouldn't go to waste. Look where I am now. Funny, eh?

Did you know that I was interviewing for full-time positions? I had interviewed until the final rounds for a position for Mitsubishi in Japan, and for National Instruments in Texas. A part of me thought I would go to industry for sure. Why not Japan? Why not a clean break from my past? Was I too scared to go through with it? Is that the reason why I chose to come to grad school?

I couldn't have seen myself entering another relationship so soon. I didn't even know anything about California. Sure, I had heard that there were more gay people here, but then again who knows? Am I even attractive to others? Could I even get anyone if I wanted to? I knew only one thing - I would learn how to face the world bravely, alone or not. But I was scared shitless.

My resolutions for this year.
-Learn Surfing
-Visit South America
-Learn Arabic
-Summit Half Dome
-Visit Redwood, Mt. Lassen, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Joshua Tree Natl Parks
-Visit Chinatown in SF! (haha this one should be easy to achieve)

New Years is always a time for anxiety and excitement. I am curious to see what the next 365 days will bring, and what the future me will think of the current me.

-FCDH

No comments:

Post a Comment