Friday, January 7, 2011

Running in Circles

Hi Readers,

I've been very busy, so I haven't been posting many new posts. I am hoping to post a myriad of posts tonight covering everything I wanted to post on in the past 2 weeks. Hopefully it will give me time to sleep and wake up in time to go ice skating and/or rock climbing tomorrow.

One of my life goals has always been to advance myself athletically. In high school, I kind of stayed away from sports of all kinds (except swimming), and I was definitely not good at anything. Therefore, I adopted the goal during my college years as a measure to develop some athletics that I could enjoy and be good at as I head into the future. A more specific goal was to run a full marathon - a goal that was unimaginable and laughable for me in high school, but a goal that now is looking more realistic.

For those of you that don't know, I ran the half marathon (13.1 miles) last year in May. I started training for it last winter, and successfully did the half marathon at around a 9 min mile. Before that training, I could only run around 3 miles non-stop before I had to stop to catch my breath. My training and improvement in running and rock climbing really helped advance my self confidence. It's a source of pride for me, and it has helped me lose weight that I carried into college from high school.

For the marathon (26.2 miles), I started training a few days after finals ended and winter break started. I tried to find some running buddies on Craigslist at first - which didn't work out. I decided to screw finding running buddies, and instead run by myself. So after New Year's Day, I began running every single day that CRCE was open. I improved quickly - my mileage increased quickly from 3 miles to 11 miles, with my best runs being two consecutive days with a 9.5 mile run at 7:30 mins per mile, and an 11 mile run at 8:16 mins per mile. I am putting up both a mileage and a pace that the me a year ago could only have dreamed about.

My daily schedule has fallen into a predictable schedule. I wake up in the morning and go to work at the study abroad office. After work is finished, I nap for an hour, and then go to CRCE and run around in circles on the indoor 1/8 mile track.

I don't feel bored when I run. I constantly feel energized. At the beginning of the run, I randomly hum 6 notes, and then my minimalist mind will take it, loop it, and expand it into a symphony worthy of zoning out to. It is almost like techno - except sometimes the 6 note sequence forms themselves to the tune of "Silent Night", or other Christmas songs that were stuck in my head. It's not the most glamorous way to run, but it's definitely the cheapest. Although it doesn't make much difference to me personally, I feel proud of myself when I see other people with their iPods or other mp3 players strapped to their arms, because I know that I didn't have to spend any money on it.

I keep an active inventory of the runners on the track as I am running, and I can constantly see - nobody is putting up the mileage I am. Some runners may pass me, but they stop a lap or two afterward and go working out. For all runners that are doing distance running, I tend to run faster than them all. I am wary about the fact that I may be getting too over-confidence and will need a reality check soon on just how much more I have to improve, but as of right now - I am constantly on cloud nine when I run. It gives me satisfaction, that I am able to do this only a year after taking up running seriously.

It really shows the power of human will. It gives me hope about accomplishing things that I set my mind to. And finally, I have an athletic skill in which I may rank as "above-average". The next challenge will be to keep up the running and the mileage as classes start. I am looking forward to it.

-FCDH

No comments:

Post a Comment