Monday, February 15, 2010

Law....?

Today, as I walked out of my class on the First Amendment, my professor was walking beside me, so we began to chat. I had the following short conversation with my law professor:

Prof: So are you going to become a lawyer?

Me: Oh no! I'm studying electrical engineering.

Prof: Engineering! What are you doing there? You should be studying law! It's so much more rewarding than engineering. Plus you would be good at it!

Ever since he said that, I've been thinking about this pretty much the whole day. I do find his class intensely interesting, when we talk about all the Supreme Court cases dealing with the First Amendment. Plus when we had to do research for our presentation on First Amendment applied to educational atmospheres, I found it really enjoyable and fun. Plus, I do love to argue and debate with people, and I'm usually very rational and pragmatic in my trains of thought.

I will admit, I've never been completely satisfied with electrical engineering. It always seemed like something was missing; even though I'm doing fantastically in EE, my heart just didn't seem to be completely there. But all other alternatives to EE that I had though about are now underneath it. There were really only two: civil engineering (which I stopped thinking about after CEE 498), and music performance (which was never a realistic dream, I suppose). But law...it may be just what I have been searching for.

I do think about going to public policy in the future. In my previous blogs, I've talked about how I don't think I am a "creator", and worrying about it. Now, I think that law might be able to bridge the difference that I was looking to reconcile.

But I have come to love EE...so I'll have to think about it some more, and definitely talk to my advisers and other people about it. But as of right now, I think I might just have created a possible future that I've never contemplated before.

-FCDH

4 comments:

  1. A J.D is a pretty interesting thing to consider after EE. Definitely a lot of ways you can go with that, and to be honest, with that degree you can do just about anything you want...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your law class sounds so interesting!! What is that class?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's called Blogging and the First Amendment. We basically study the principles of the First Amendment, the different perspectives on it, and the notable Supreme Court cases dealing with it (like Frederick vs. Morse or New York vs. Sullivan). And yes it's probably my most interesting class right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, If you like law there is a lot of money to be made there, it tends to be at the cost of long long hours though... If you want my opinion I'd say finish your B.S. in EE and think about getting a grad degree in law.

    ReplyDelete