Thursday, January 10, 2013

Mombasa and the Hobbit

Hi Readers,

I have spent the past 4 days here in Mombasa. It was certainly the laziest and most relaxing 4 days that I've spent here in Africa. There's not much to do in Mombasa other than just to chill on the beach, so that's what I did. And then when the vendors got annoying, I chilled at the pool instead.

We did go snorkeling one of the days, and it was really fun! It was my first time, so it was slightly challenging to adapt to the air tube and the fact that you can't breathe from your nose. We saw lots of starfish, sea urchins, fish, and coral.

We also took a tuk-tuk, which is the name of the motorbike taxi ubiquitous to Mombasa, to the movie theater to watch The Hobbit in 3D. The movie was pretty good, but I did remark to GS that the entire Hobbit storyline is a parody of the quintessential modern startup dream; the only difference is that it's set in Middle Earth.

You are approached by a group of strangers, who pitch a fantastic-sounding  proposal fraught with risks and dangers. They promise you a cut of the payout at the end of the journey, if you will only drop whatever you are doing and join them. In the group, there's a genius whiz, and a guy who always believe you aren't pulling your weight. Some people are in for the riches, and others are in for the idea itself. You quickly rid yourself of unnecessary luxuries (such as free time), and along the way you prove yourself to the team.

After watching a movie, usually I think, "gee I wish I was that movie character." Funnily enough, in the case of the Hobbit, it's actually possible!

Off to safari!

Cheers,
FCDH

No comments:

Post a Comment