Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Wind Surfing at Stanford!

Hi Readers,

So some of you may know that I've recently started taking wind surfing classes here at Stanford. Yes, Stanford offers wind surfing classes, because it is so awesome. I was debating about taking the class, especially since I had suffered a cut to my leg the week before and it would hurt to put the wetsuit on. However, since it is only offered every spring, I finally decided to take it, and it was a fantastic idea!

So to start off, Stanford is humongous. It's so large, in fact, that it includes several lakes. There are acres and acres of land which are part of Stanford, but which are not developed in any way. This includes a lake called Felt Lake, which is located behind the campus, on the other side of 280. This is where the windsurfing classes are held.

For a course fee of $100, everything is included. Even though I wasn't sure that a wetsuit was necessary, I bought one anyways, and it was definitely a great idea. The first time I tried the water, it was freezing cold. I was nice and toasty inside the wetsuit (and blubbery as well, since the wetsuit made me look like a seal).

Wind surfing includes a board, a sail, and a boom. The board is what you stand on, the sail stands on top of the board so you can catch the wind, and the boom is what you hold onto with your hands to direct the sail. The first class taught us how to assemble all the parts, and how to balance ourselves on the board.

Once you are on the board, you have to pull on the sail until it stands up straight. This is probably the hardest part of learning how to windsurf (so far..there's only been 2 classes). Balancing is really difficult, and if the wind is strong or unsteady then it's hard to stay on the board. I fell a lot that first day. A LOT. But on the second day, it got a lot better! I was able to move around the lake using the wind, and it was really fun! It also helped that the second day had much better weather than the first day.

I found that the hardest thing to do, once you start moving, is to go upwind. It is a problem - once the wind blows you down to the end of the lake...how do you get back? I found this out early on in the 2nd class, when I found myself at the very edge of the lake and unable to go back. Fortunately, one of the TAs came by and guided me on how to zigzag across the wind, heading slowly upwind the entire time, in order to get back. Whereas I spent 10 mins getting to the end of the lake going downwind, it took well over an hour and a half to get back up the lake again.

Stanford really never ceases to amaze me with what it has to offer. I love this place!

Till next time!
-FCDH

No comments:

Post a Comment