Thursday, August 25, 2011

Expect the Unexpected

Hi Readers,

So this post will touch on a personal observation that I've made. Every single time that I have had any luck with guys, it always has been when I did not expect it. When I don't plan for it, things just seem to happen. Whereas when I do plan consciously for it, nothing happens. It is pretty weird, but I guess it kind of makes sense. Perhaps I tense up and get nervous when I do expect something to happen, whereas if I am not expecting it then I act more relaxed and enjoy myself more. Or perhaps it is a mental block that's developed there, I don't know.

This past weekend, I was suffering from slight withdrawal because most of my friends here in Austin have left. My last remaining roommate was, as usual, playing video games. As he always does. Usually I have other the other roommates to turn to to distract myself from his constant yelling at the other players. But for some reason I just couldn't be around him that day. So I packed some water, and set off on the bus towards downtown Austin. I didn't really plan for anything, I just thought about walking around. And so I got off at Barton Springs and walked through Zilker Park. I got mobbed by a friendly cute dog there, who ran away from his owner toward me, tail wagging at full force, and would not stop following me as I tried to keep walking without tripping over him (his owner had to come take him away while apologizing profusely). Things just got better from there - I guess it was a good omen.

After souvenir shopping for what I thought was my last weekend in Austin, I invited my friend CL out for a drink. She came out and we went to this place that had $10 Long Island pitchers. We split a pitcher and each had about 6 glasses, and in the meanwhile she ascertained from me that I had never really seriously checked out a gay club. So, armed with the fuzziness from the alcohol, she proceeded to drag me to a gay bar and then to Rain, another gay club.

The entire time I felt ridiculous - imagine, me wearing my flip flops, sweaty from the roughly 5 mile hike I did earlier that day, carrying a pack full of postcards and other souvenirs, going to all of these places. It didn't help (initially) that she kept trying to initiate conversation with other guys for me. She'd go up to people with her conversation starters..."what's that drink?"..."you have toilet paper on your shoe"...and then she'd introduce me. There were times when I just wanted to disappear into the ground. I was literally that embarrassed.

But at Rain, the guy that she initiated a conversation with (with the toilet paper on his shoe) turned out to be conceivably the most interesting person I have ever met in my life. He's half Japanese and half Puerto Rican, is fluent in English, Spanish, and Japanese, and is attractive as hell. =) He grew up in a military family and has lived in Tokyo for much of his life. We ended up dancing together for the rest of the night, and then before I left we exchanged numbers.

I went out to dinner with him yesterday. Had coffee afterward. Many hours passed in a flash. He is a good kisser. =)

2 more weeks in Austin. Who knows what the unexpected will bring in this time?

-FCDH

No comments:

Post a Comment