Sunday, April 4, 2010

Time to Come Clean with Parents...

I'm pretty sure I want to come clean with my parents about my sexuality soon. It's been 9 years of lies, and I think it's about time it has to end. I can't continue leading my parents on thinking that I will eventually find a girl and settle down...because I'm almost completely certain that it will not happen.

Before this year, the biggest obstacle that I saw myself facing was that they would cut off my financing for my tuition. However, with all of the scholarships and awards that I've gotten in these two years, my bank account should be able to handle the rest of my semesters here at the university even if they do cut off everything. Now, the only thing holding me back is fear. But I love life too much to be living in fear.

After I tell them that I'm gay, I anticipate one of three immediate things:
1) surprise followed by acceptance
2) surprise followed by disgust
3) surprise followed by denial

I'll tell them in an email...that way they have a chance to calm down before they respond to the message. I realize that there's a chance that this may lead to the severance of my family as it is... but do I really have a choice?

It will eventually need to happen. I'm going to do it sooner rather than later.

No regrets in life. No looking back. No more hiding.

I am the person I am.

-FCDH

3 comments: